Normally I’m totally compulsive about not putting pictures on the internet unless I really like them. That means I barely ever post dinner recipes because I always end up eating when the light is terrible (and I’m too cheap to buy a nice light/ too busy to build a lightbox).
But then I was making this beet salad the other night, and had a bite, and was then the beets said to me:
Beauty is on the inside (in your mouth and belly)
Fancy lighting and photoshop is for Vogue, not beets.
We want to be famous on the internet.
So I told the beets that I would write out the recipe and share it with the universe since it’s delicious and simple and will blow the taste buds right off of your tongue.
Gold Beet Salad
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 3 large gold beets (or chiogga, or red even, but red are really sweet so maybe reduce the honey a little bit)
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1 tbs. flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. Wash any dirt off of the beets. Chop off the greens and save them for another dish. Boil the beets in a small pot until they are cooked through (you’ll be able to slide a paring knife into the center of the beet very easily).
2. Drain. To remove the peel, hold the beet under running water and rub it with your fingers; the skin should slide right off.
3. Slide each beet in half and then into half-moons. In a salad bowl, combine beets, honey and parsley and stir gently to combine.* Season the beets sea salt to taste and a very liberal amount of black pepper (because of how delicious the pepper is with the honey).
I hope that you are able to dig up something from the earth and drizzle honey on it soon. It is marvelous.
*(When I was working at this one restaurant in San Francisco, I was making a salad for an order and another cook looked at me and said “what did those salad greens ever do to you?” and I realized that when you are making salads it’s important not to get too crazy with the metal tongs. Be gentle, it keeps your vegetables from getting bruised and all mushed up).